Monday, July 29, 2013

The Triumph Trophy SE 2013 - an unbiased opinion

I was given a great opportunity to evaluate my next steed when Anders of Eurotune in Queanbeyan offered to let me take the Triumph Trophy for a short test ride. I collected the bike on the Friday afternoon so we could lead the progression of motor cycles to Merimbula first thing on Saturday morning for Christmas in July.

My first impression was that it seems twice the size of our Sprint but once you start riding this impression diminishes. The lower seating position caters for my long lanky legs and the wide handle bars help to manoeuvre the bike when needed. The bike is well balanced and copes easily with any speed from pottering around to full throttle on the open highway and you are confident that you are backed up by the stable rock solid feel of the Triumph brand. The brakes pull you up without hesitation and using the rear brake pedal does not hamper the balance as it is linked to one front disc and rear brake.

Tracey climbed aboard once we had packed all our gear into the larger capacity panniers and reported she was impressed with the ease of embarking and the large soft comfortable seat (I’m hoping this is enough to sway her to allow me to buy the Trophy – clever Anders). After meeting up with everyone at Hume we started down the highway to Cooma and I played with the cruise control, the screen and scrolled through the readouts showing tyre pressure, seating position, etc. I was surprised to find the fuel economy was running around 4.5 litres per 100klms giving you a 530kms ride before refuelling. We stopped at Nimmitabel for lunch where we had to allow extra room to park the bike as my long legs made reversing uphill a little harder. After lunch we travelled down Brown Mountain where it was hard to let the bike flow due to the four wheel vehicles hogging the road with nowhere to pass safely.

Arriving at Merimbula neither of us was achy or sore. Starting up on Sunday morning we headed to Bermagui via Tathra along a nice twisty section of road but the suspension was possibly too soft for two up with luggage riding on the soft setting. We were able to change it at the stop at Bermagui to the normal setting which changed the handling more to my liking. We rode through another lovely section of road passing water views and sleepy villages. I refuelled the bike at Bodalla before stopping at the Dairy Shed for lunch which allowed the group some great food and a break before heading back home. Tracey and I travelled by ourselves back to Bungendore without stopping and even after I pulled a back muscle while packing I wasn’t uncomfortable travelling home.

The moment which made my mind up was when we rode up the Clyde Mountain as one with nature through the flowing corners letting the Triumph take control of the road as it unfolded in front of us. The windshield impressed me as it not only electronically adjusts six inches to suit you, but it also actually remembers its last position. So, when you start the bike, you don’t have to waste time readjusting it. The nice thing is that we could talk to each other while riding at lower speeds as it blocks out the noise of the wind.

I handed the Trophy back on Monday - it was a sad moment but I was very impressed with the bike. A special thankyou to Anders from Eurotune in Queanbeyan for allowing me to take the bike out for a real test ride. I walked outside to ride my Sprint home and after riding the Trophy all weekend it seemed smaller than I remembered.

My final hurdle is to convince my wife to let me purchase our new champagne coloured Triumph Trophy possible in 2014.

I hope you are listening Mr Triumph.

Michael Winters