Wednesday, April 26, 2017

4 Day Ride to Temora 22 – 25 April 2017

The days leading up to the weekend were consumed with conversation about what the weather was going to do for our upcoming weekend away.  The plan was to ride from Canberra to Mudgee and stay there on Saturday and Sunday nights, then go on to Forbes for a stop over on Monday night, before riding on to Temora for the Anzac Day march.

Jan put the waterproof cover over her gearsack to scare off the rain on Saturday, which worked.  Derek’s Yamaha doesn’t like to travel more than about 170kms on a tank, so they took off first, knowing they would have to make a fuel stop on the way.  The rest of the group took off from Watson on time and rode to Taralga in beautiful conditions for a well anticipated cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate (and some lovely food to go with it).  From there we headed off to Bathurst for our scheduled lunch break.  Unfortunately, the Oberon Council had only just recently tarred the road over the Abercrombie pass and failed to sweep off the loose gravel on one corner, or put up any signs to indicate the direction or tightness of the corners. On approaching said corner, it was impossible to detect which direction the road was taking us.  The Goldwing was in the lead and decided it didn’t want to take said corner, so had a lie down.  We continued on, leaving a left hand rear view mirror on the side of the road, but fortunately no injuries.

We eventually arrived in Mudgee at a reasonable hour and had time to rest and recover, before going to one of the local Hotels for dinner.  

Dinner at Mudgee Soldiers Club

Instructions were to meet at 10am at one of the Motels the next morning to decide what we were going to do on Sunday.  Derek & Margaret went to Dripping Rock, Peter and Trevor stayed in town and had a day of R&R, Jan & Butch were still out walking.  The rest of us went to Gulgong, which was only 29kms away, and had a lovely walk around the Historical town.  Gulgong was featured on the early version of our $10 note.  The attached recipe was found on a shop window – maybe it would suit a future AGM Saturday night dinner!! 

Remember to adjust ingredients to the number of guests expected.

We found a pub that was serving $6 meals so decided that would make a great lunch.  Jan & Butch had caught up to us by then and joined us for lunch.

Lunch at Gulgong

It was then decided to go to Hill End on the way back to Mudgee.  We arrived there to find they had been holding their End Festival with markets, sporting events and lots more.  But it was starting to wind down by the time we got there – maybe another time!!!

Jen on the $10 note
Dinner that night was at the local Soldiers Club.  Then off to Forbes the next day at 9.30am.  Morning tea was at Wellington and lunch in Parkes. Mike and Sharon joined us here having ridden from Canberra that afternoon.  A few went for a walk, others sat around the Motel and exchanged more yarns - plenty of that over the course of the weekend.  Dinner in Forbes was at their Leagues Club, but an early night was had by all.

More conversation about the weather ensued.  Would it rain or would it not? That was the question.  Unfortunately, just 20 kms or so out of Forbes on the way to Temora on Tuesday, the skies opened up and it didn’t stop raining all day.  We stopped at the Shell servo at Wyalong for fuel and coffee and everyone was pretty damp.  The sidecar sprung a few leaks, so Derek and Margaret headed home from there. The rest of us went on to Temora.  It was still raining.  We waited for the start of the Anzac March, most leaving helmets on to stay a bit drier.  Here we met up with the 4 brave riders who came over from Canberra that morning.  Jan and Vidas did the honour of laying the wreath on behalf of the Canberra Branch.  Alan and I, as well as a few others headed straight back to Canberra, choosing not to stop for lunch in Harden as originally planned.

Caroline, Jan & Vidas before the march
By the time we turned off the Hume Hwy to Canberra, the wet weather gear had well and truly failed to protect the body from water.  It was lovely to get into a nice warm shower and put on some dry clothes.

Thank you to Darryl for leading the group so well and thank you to everyone who attended, making it a great weekend away.  Great company, fun times.




  • Darryl & Caroline Palin        Honda Goldwing
  • Alan & Lyn Munday            Yamaha FJR1300
  • Chas & Jen Towie            Honda ST1300
  • Jan Wills                Honda DN01
  • Butch Wills                BMW K1100LT
  • Derek & Margaret Titheradge        YamahaVMax with Sidecar
  • Peter Arday                Honda ST1300
  • Trevor McLeod            Yamaha FJR1300
  • Mike & Sharon Kelly            Triumph 1600
  • Michael Winters              Triumph Trophy
  • Garry McCurley              Honda VFR1200
  • Vidas Sadauskas              Harley Davidson Street Glide
  • Chris Dietzel                 Kawasaki 1400GTR