Monday, September 14, 2020

A Ride for the Young at Heart – 6 September (2Reports!)

What a day! Magnificent weather, a great group of people, and a ride that would be hard to beat. Firstly, let me introduce myself. I am Noel, a relative “newbie” to Ulysses , having joined late last year. At lunch I found myself sitting next to ride leader, Maritta, who asked me to put a few lines together re the ride. I suspect, after noticing that I had a gift of the gab, she thought my writing skills might be up to the task! I'm not so sure about that!

After meeting and briefing at Caltex Nichols, the group (of 11 I think) got away on time at 10:30 and headed out to Young via Binalong and Galong, eventually coming into Young via Moppity Rd to lunch at Wilders Bakery.

It turned out to be one of those days where everything came together just beautifully, with Mother Nature presenting herself to us in all her glory. I had never realised just how many hues of green there are along that broad rolling landscape - and touched here and there with the golds of canola crops and blossoming wattle. The whole experience was quite enthralling and uplifting. At times I became so engrossed in the scene as to momentarily ease up on the accelerator – until at one stage I was abruptly brought back to reality rather quickly when I noticed a cockatoo narrowly escaping with its life after playing chicken with the rider in front of me!

While looking at the riders ahead and behind I couldn't help but reflect how all of us seemed to be so perfectly at home with Nature on that ride. Some might describe it as one of those sublime moments which seem to energise us. But it all had to end, at least for the time being, as we rode into Young and began to think about energising the body at Wilders.

 Wilders Bakery lived up to our expectations in providing great food for three tables of very hungry riders. The lunchtime conversations are always interesting as we begin to learn a little more about one another. At our table someone touched on the stresses of dealing with the impact of COVID-19 on work related and family circumstances. Another took the topic further in mentioning the healing and therapeutic power of motorcycle riding and how valuable it was at this time. All agreed on its benefits and I thought briefly about my own uplifting experience as I rode along Moppity Road earlier in the day.


No doubt about it; motorcycle riding in group can be truly rewarding, sometimes unexpectedly taking us into that more private, contemplative dimension of our self and our world. And later, to get together with others to relive and share the experience over good coffee and food. And afterwards we look forward to doing it all again the next week


Well done Ulysses. And thanks from us all for a great day, Maritta.


Noel

  • Peter Ongley Ducati 659
  • Damon & Jen BMW R850R
  • Anthony Hanson – Goldwing 
  • Doc Newman – Harley 
  • David Burfoot 
  • Kevin Sherman – Indian
  • Steven Bardwell – Moto Guzzi
  • Andrew Campbell BMW R1250RS
  • Neil McRitchie – GTR1400
  • Janet Mulgrue – 650 Burgman 
  • Kerry Mulgrue – ST1300 
  • Noel Bentley 
  • Maritta - Kawasaki Vulcan 900

  


Two for the Price of One! A few thoughts on the ride from new member Anthony Hansen!

What a brilliant days riding with 13 riders on a variety of bikes attending. Starting point Caltex Nicholls Canberra departing 10:30 along the Barton Highway out past Yass then turning of right and heading out via Galon, Moppity Rd arriving at Young for most relaxing and enjoyable lunch at Wilders Bakery.

Return trip back was Young to Boorowa through to Yass and back along the highway through Murrumbateman.

I split from the main group just before Yass and pulled off at Yass for coffee before continuing back solo.

Thanks to Maritta for leading the ride job well done and thanks to our tail guard also job well done. It was a pleasure catching up with all riders and I truly enjoyed the conversations and ride shared. 

Scenery was spectacular.

Anthony