Friday, August 7, 2020

"Ulysses in the Mist" – Ride to Taralga, 2 August 2020

As we know, riding motorcycles in the Canberra region in early August can often be a bit of a touch-and-go proposition. The conditions that greeted us on the first stage of this ride made me think that planning a Winter ride around here can be a case of "the triumph of hope over experience".

Despite this, seven hardy souls turned up for our ride to Taralga on Sunday 2nd of August. Actually, eight riders arrived at our meeting place at Nicholls, but Neil McRitchie had an urgent phone call prevented him from continuing on the ride. 

A couple of interesting bikes joined the group, making a change from the usual gaggle of BMWs, Triumphs and Japanese machines. Prospective new member, Julian Hamon was riding his Enfield 650 Interceptor and Steven Bardwell brought along his Moto Guzzi California 1400.

As we headed onto the Barton Highway for the first leg to Boorowa the thick fog hanging over the countryside made me ask myself if this ride was such a fabulous idea. It occurred to me that many of those Ulysses members who had stayed home on this chilly Sunday were, perhaps, more adept than I was at interpreting weather forecasts.

Immediately, as we headed down the Barton towards Murrumbateman, the fog began to restrict our visibility. I encouraged myself by imagining the fog burning off and a lovely sunny day emerging by the time we reached Yass. Not the case unfortunately.

We turned onto Lachlan Valley Way and, if anything, the fog just got thicker. My new heated gloves were getting a workout. Normally the main concern about the road to Boorowa is the regular presence of the highway patrol. On this morning we generally weren't able to go fast enough for that to be a problem.

Being at the front of the group was a challenge because my visor constantly misted up, forcing me to slow down on corners (something I normally try hard not to do). I was concerned that my inconsistent pace would be a problem for those following.

I kept hoping that I would come up behind a car travelling at a reasonable pace, so that I could just slot in behind, following the tail-lights. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. The only cars I encountered were those emerging from the fog, going the opposite direction. A couple of idiot car drivers hadn't bothered to put their lights on, so there were some nervous moments as these fools suddenly appeared out of the gloom.

Mercifully, we arrived safely at Boorowa (I've never been more pleased to see the sheep capital). A hot cup of coffee cheered us all up, relaxing on the vintage sofas at the cosy little café, Pantry on Pudman.

 Julian, Heike, Mike and Robert, Steven and Noel

How things transformed as we started the next leg of the journey along the Rugby Road! By the time we passed the Reids Flat turn-off the fog had disappeared. As we reached Rugby the sun was out and a lovely sunny Winter's day revealed itself, just in time for us to revel in this fantastic stretch of road.

We all enjoyed the ride to Crookwell and then through Laggan, and cross-country to Taralga. The scenery was beautiful and the road was very entertaining.
We had a long, pleasant lunch and conversation at the Tangled Vine Café at Taralga, before departing for Canberra, returning via Crookwell, Gunning and Gundaroo.

Despite my pathetic moaning about the fog, this ride was absolutely worth the effort. Yes, I know….I need to harden the f*** up!

J.G.

RIDERS:
● Heike Apps BMW R1200 GS
● Robert Apps BMW R1200 GSA
● Steven Bardwell Moto Guzzi California 1400
● Noel Bentley BMW F800 GSA
● John Grace Triumph Tiger 1200
● Julian Hamon Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
● Mike Kelly BMW R1200 RT